Thursday, April 25, 2019

Traveling THM: Holiday Week Part 3

This is the final post from my week long road trip. I just got home today, and I am looking forward to spending some quality time in my kitchen!

The last several nights of our road trip were spent in hotels that featured breakfast buffets. Since finding  E meals seems to be more challenging in restaurants, I generally go for oatmeal at the hotels to make sure I get those E's in. One day I added cinnamon, and another day I added a small handful of dried blueberries, and always stevia.  Both times, I also ate an Oikos Greek Triple Zero yogurt to get my protein in. Since both meals were nonfat, I added one little serving of half and half to my coffee.

Later that night, lo and behold I was able to find an actual E meal in a restaurant.  It was called Bourbon 'n Toulouse in Lexington. The dish was called Chicken Piquant, a lowfat and delectable cajun chicken stew.  It was served over rice and had bread on the side, both of which I enjoyed in moderation and gave the rest to my hubby.  Since I was in E mode, I actually ordered a rare (for me) beer.

E dinner - Cajun Chicken Piquant!

The next day, I knew I couldn't leave Lexington without just one more trip to the Vinaigrette Salad Kitchen.  This time, it was a BLT salad with added wild salmon and strawberries (I know, sounds weird but it was delicious).  I declined the croutons to keep it in S mode.

S Salad - BLT with Wild Salmon

Side note.  While in Lexington, I stopped at an olive oil and vinegar store where they let customers taste the products.  Those kinds of stores seem to be popping up all over the country (in cities, of course, and not in my little town of 5,000).  I came home and rearranged my kitchen around those oils and vinegars, which will someday soon get their very own blog post. 

Anyway, it was time to head home.  Lunch on the road was a simple E picnic at a rest area.  No lingering.  I still had stops to make while on the road.

E lunch on the go

The last of these stops was Costco, knowing that I was out of vegetables at home.  While there, I picked up my favorite frugal travel food… The amazing Costco chicken Caesar salad for $3.99. You simply cannot beat them for an S meal on the road. And you do not have to be a member to eat at the food court.  I am saving that salad for tomorrow, and I picked one up for my daughter as well.

Travel hack - Costco Chicken Caesar 

You might be wondering why those Oikos Greek yogurts kept popping up throughout my week of travel. They are my latest convenience food discovery, and my daughter’s Costco in Nashville had them on sale. (Oddly enough, they were not on sale at my own Costco, so I’m glad I stocked up).  They are a Fuel Pull food, so they are a great protein option to go with any kind of meal. 

My beloved Oikos

When I travel by car, I usually take my ancient gray cooler and keep a frozen gallon of water in it to keep things cold. And from Sunday to Wednesday, everything I had in my “traveling fridge” stayed cold. I have traveled with that beloved gray cooler for years. When my kids were little, I think they were disappointed to see it, because it meant fewer Culvers and Cracker Barrel stops for them.

I hope you have been able to see that traveling with trim Healthy Mama is quite possible. I have two big travel challenges coming up soon, and they involve an Alaskan cruise and a trip to the Middle East. I am determined to demonstrate that THM can be done in both cases.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Plan Basics, Start Here

Trim Healthy Mama 101 - Basic Building Blocks and Digestion

In this post, I begin to introduce the basic concept of the Trim Healthy Mama (THM)  lifestyle and break it down as simply as possible.  The...