Monday, April 22, 2019

Traveling THM: Holiday Week Part 2

Here we are at part two of my Holiday Week THM travel log.  We start with Resurrection Sunday morning, which we celebrated together as a family in the living room, with worship and a podcast (we willingly gave up our seats to make room for the Christmas and Easter attenders).

We continued our celebration with a homemade S brunch.  I made mushroom, red pepper, onion, and feta omelettes for the four of us, along with Triple Zero Oikos Greek Yogurt and coffee with cream.

After much discussion, my daughter and her husband decided to have a date in the afternoon, and we grandparents gleefully agreed to babysit!  We took the baby to the park and simply had a marvelous time with her.  Here she is eating her plantain salad:

Plantain the herb, not plantain the banana-like substance

Upon our return from the park, I raided my daughter's fridge in search of leftovers.  Based on the ingredients I found, I scored big:  Southwestern Chicken and Quinoa Salad. Finally, a much-needed E meal!


This one was simple.  In a bowl, I combined cooked chicken meat (left from our previous day's Costco run), cooked quinoa (leftover from a previous day's unsuccessful attempt to feed quinoa cereal to the baby), chopped romaine, chopped red and yellow peppers, and chopped onions.  I then tossed everything with an E dressing.

For the dressing, I located some leftover salsa in a jar, then added the juice of one lime (I always keep fresh limes with me, even when traveling), some cumin, some chipotle powder, and a small sprinkling of stevia.  After tossing the salad, it went on the plates and I decorated them with sliced jalapenos.  It was really yummy!  (Hubby added shredded cheddar to his salad for a crossover.)

Our time with family came to a close, and Sunday night we had to head out to another city so my hubby could work in his territory on Monday while I found things to do, like hike and blog.

En route, we stopped at an Indian restaurant in Elizabethtown, KY.  I ordered Tandoori Chicken Tikka (extra hot), which was an S meal but it arrived with a giant bowl of rice.  My husband ordered a curry lamb shank which arrived with lots of broccoli but no rice.

He loves rice.

I love broccoli.

It was a meal made in heaven once the swap was made.  I kept one small spoonful of rice, just enough to keep me in S mode, and he kept one twig (?) of broccoli.  My sauce was a very spicy tomato and cream sauce.  So good!



Monday morning arrived, and we were now at a hotel.  For breakfast, I enjoyed oatmeal and cinnamon from the hotel's hospitality room, to which I added my own stevia.  For the protein, I added some Greek yogurt from my cooler in the room. (Yes, another thing that I travel with if I am driving and not flying).

The day was gorgeous, so off I went on a lovely hike at a nearby nature center. where I saw all kinds of Kentucky flora and fauna. 

Like this bug

And this deer.  See her?

When I got back to my car after the nearly two hour hike, I was really hungry, and one of my favorite local eating places was 30 minutes away.  Epic (brand, not adjective) Chicken Sesame BBQ bar to the rescue.  I always keep one of these in my purse.  Protein snack on the run.

I arrived at the aforementioned restaurant, which I had discovered the last time I was in Lexington, Kentucky.  Hello Vinaigrette Salad Kitchen - a local chain here.  I ordered the Tuscan Salad (spinach, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, mozzarella cheese, red onion, and roasted red peppers, tossed in a tasty vinaigrette) to which I added a fillet of wild salmon.  I declined the croutons, so my astute server asked if I'd like some sunflower seeds instead.  Indeed.  A great way to garnish this S salad.


That drink you see there is an unsweetened lemon hibiscus mixture that they were offering.  Once again, out came my own stevia.

There are still a couple of days left of this trip as we make our way home to join our other daughter there.  So there just might be a part three, you never know.

Update: Yup, there is a part three.  Click here to see how I wrapped up my holiday week of travel.





No comments:

Post a Comment

For Plan Basics, Start Here

Trim Healthy Mama 101 - Basic Building Blocks and Digestion

In this post, I begin to introduce the basic concept of the Trim Healthy Mama (THM)  lifestyle and break it down as simply as possible.  The...