Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Baking Blend Basics



In my pre-THM life, I did not enjoy baking.  I much preferred cooking, because I didn't have to measure very often.  I'm a dump-taste-tweak cook.  Baking is a little more scientific.

HOWEVER, I have a sweet tooth.  I could never have done this plan if there had been no options for desserts. And ohh, are there options!

This post is about baking blend - the foundation of my baked goods.  At first, I ordered the THM blend from their store and I loved it!  But the amount of baking I planned to do with their blend did not jive with my baking budget.  I had to come up with my own recipe that I could mix up in copious amounts.

So after some quality time on Pinterest, along with trial and error in my kitchen, I came up with this blend.

2 cups oat fiber
1 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup flax meal
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup collagen
2 T. glucomannan or xanthan gum

Whisk together.  I usually triple this recipe.

Store in your favorite jar.
I like half gallon widemouths.

This is a great blend for cakes, quick breads, cookies, and so forth.  Like most gluten-free flours, it is not a blend for yeast breads.  Unlike many gluten-free blends, this one is not full of blood-sugar-spiking carbs.  In the THM plan, it is considered a Fuel Pull and can therefore be used in many applications.

Sourcing the ingredients is half the battle.  I purchase three ingredients from Trim Healthy Mama - the oat fiber, the collagen, and the glucomannan.  My last bag of coconut flour came from Amazon, and I find flax meal and almond flour at Costco.

I will address these ingredients one by one.

First, oat fiber (not to be confused with oat flour).  This is the high-fiber, non-glycemic part of the oat that does not spike your blood sugar.  Oat fiber is a great way to incorporate non-soluable dietary fiber into your diet, while also adding volume to your baking blend.  I tried some oat fiber from Amazon, but it tasted too - oaty.  There are other brands out there that I haven't tried, but I like the THM brand and stock up on it every time I visit Nashville. 



Coconut flour is another high-fiber low glycemic option.  It is low fat because it is a by-product of coconut milk production.  The little fat that it does contain is a stable, saturated fat.  A little coconut flour goes a long way.



Flax meal is another high fiber, low carb ingredient.  It is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, an omega 3 fat.  The quantity in this blend, however, does not put it into S mode.

The next ingredient is almond flour, which is low in carbs but higher in fat.  The small amount of almond flour in the recipe adds richness and flavor, while keeping the blend in Fuel Pull range. I have actually made my own almond flour before, from the by-product of my homemade almond milk (a future post). But I confess, I like the store-bought better.  Using straight almond flour in baking can be calorie abuse and is not waistline friendly.  It is better to mix it with other ingredients.

Next up is collagen. This superfood is a high source of protein, promotes joint health, and is a natural energy booster.  I stick with the THM brand, although there are many brands out there. 



Finally, glucomannan.  What a clever little ingredient that deserves its own blog post someday.  It is made from the konjac root, which is native to China and Japan.  It is a non-glycemic thickener that also helps you feel full.  It is readily found as a supplement, but THM carries the loose powder.  I keep some in a jar, but also keep some in a shaker to thicken sauces and gravies.  Like coconut flour, a little bit goes a long way.




My next post is going to put this blend into action!  I'm ready for a baking day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Plan Basics, Start Here

Trim Healthy Mama 101 - Basic Building Blocks and Digestion

In this post, I begin to introduce the basic concept of the Trim Healthy Mama (THM)  lifestyle and break it down as simply as possible.  The...