Monday, April 29, 2019

Chicken Stock, Chicken Soup, and the Forgotten Fuel Pull

One of my favorite foods on the planet is chicken stock.  I'm talking the real thing, and not the cubes or crystals that you stir into hot water.

I mean simmered-for-hours bone broth.  

It is also one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.  There is a reason people eat chicken broth when they have colds.  I have also heard it referred to as Jewish Penicillin.  Many Jewish mothers and grandmothers are masters of bone broth! 

Whenever I can get raw chicken bones, I make a giant vat of the stuff.  But I am going to share a Drive-Through-Sue kitchen hack that makes it easy to whip up this superfood.

Costco Rotisserie Chickens.  I also call them cheater chickens, because I am not starting out with raw birds.  (I used to raise and butcher my own chickens, so you can see how far I have "fallen.")  



They sell these birds for a mere $4.99 each.  (I am not sure that I want to know how.)

Anyway, I usually get a couple at a time, bring them home, and de-bone them, separating the dark and white meat into quart-sized freezer bags.  The skin goes with the dark because of its higher fat content.  These convenient bags of chicken thaw quickly in a dish of hot water when needed.  It is important to label the bags, because when the meat is frozen it pretty much all looks the same.  My bags are labeled D and W.

Meanwhile, all the leftover bones go into a pot on the stove.  I add dehydrated (you can use fresh) carrots, onions, celery, parsley, peppercorns, and then cover everything with water.  I finish with a splash of cider vinegar, which helps draw the minerals out of the bones and into the liquid.  I bring to a boil, reduce to low, and let simmer 12-24 hours.  


When it's done (and cooled a bit), I strain and then freeze in various sized containers.  Silicone muffin pans work great for single-servings.  You can also reduce your chicken stock so that it is concentrated.  It takes up less room in the freezer that way.  Don't forget to add water back in when you use it.

So now we have the foundation for the soup that I made tonight.  It is a creamy and delicious soup that turned out to be a Fuel Pull.  This is a good thing, because I find that before any given meal, my brain always is thinking, "E or S?"  Poor Fuel Pull meal - like the proverbial middle child, it tended to be forgotten at my house.  In fact, confession time:  I had lost most of my weight before I really became aware of the Fuel Pull meal.  Perhaps I would have lost weight faster, had I paid more attention to it!  (No disrespect meant toward middle children - I am one myself).

Anyway, here is the recipe for what I am calling Creamy Provençal Chicken Soup.

1 tablespoon bacon fat or butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped (or any color you want)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence 
(or just add pinches of tarragon, basil, rosemary, and thyme if you wish)
2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
1 quart chicken stock
8 oz cauliflower rice
3-4 Laughing Cow light cheese wedges (optional)
Salt and pepper

In a saucepan, heat the fat.  Add the vegetables (except garlic) and sautè several minutes, until softened and fragrant.  Add the herbs and garlic and cook another minute or two.

Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the chicken stock and cauliflower.  Bring to a boil and cook several minutes to soften the cauliflower.  Add the cheese wedges if using, and carefully puree the mixture in the blender.  If you don't use the cheese, the mixture will still be a thick and creamy consistency.

Pour over the veggies in the pan and add the chicken.  Heat through and adjust seasonings.  Serve with a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt and chopped peppers, if desired.  Vóilà!  A hearty fuel pull soup!

So creamy and good!

With peppers and Greek yogurt

This soup could be easily made into an S with the addition of shredded cheddar and bacon bits on the top.

Or, make it an E with the addition of cannellini beans and a bit of sweet corn.







No comments:

Post a Comment

For Plan Basics, Start Here

Trim Healthy Mama 101 - Basic Building Blocks and Digestion

In this post, I begin to introduce the basic concept of the Trim Healthy Mama (THM)  lifestyle and break it down as simply as possible.  The...